Thursday 9 August 2012

Day 5 & 6... Lagos Life

The Boardwalk in Lagos.
We stayed out until 5:30 when the club closed, and decided to walk back to our room together as the busses were insanely full. Our room is just a few streets away from the hostel proper, more like our own private apartment, with a kitchen and common area for us to hang out in as well as the beds. Being with the 5 guys means that it is always dirty and pretty sticky with beer/carelessness, but luckily it gets cleaned daily, and I keep my things well away from the hustle and bustle that goes on after hours. We grabbed the rest of our drinks from the room, and decided to go down to the beach to watch the sunrise, where we found about 30 people had decided on the same thing. All sitting together, out with the waves, after an awesome night was such a good way to start off the vacation here. Bed came around 7:30 though, so I was a pretty tired Kylie the next day!
A few shades darker.
Hello! I know it's been a few days since my last post, but I've got lots to catch you guys up on!
Having gotten to Lagos late, I walked to my hostel and met my roommates. I had been placed with 5 guys, a group of 3 Aussies, and a pair of friends, another Aussie and a Calgarian! We all decided to join the rest of the hostel in going to the Duna Beach Club, where Pendulum, a techno/house DJ, was making the group go nuts! As an open air venue it was so nice to be able to go in and out of the crowd and get air every once in a while. It was packed, and the other DJs that came on before and afterwards were awesome as well. I really developed a new appreciation for the genre, and danced like a bit of a maniac... so hard in fact that my neck hurt the next day from all the Willow Smith-esque hair whipping.


We went for some breakfast around 12, and then hit the beach. There are some absolutely breathtaking views here, with cliffs, caves, and beaches all forming inlets and secluded areas. The weather has been stunning as usual, and I've spend a lot of time on the beach, working on my colour. The other time is spend roaming around the area, and hanging with new friends at the hostel. Dinners have been pretty fun, usually a bunch of us get some grub across the street at NahNahBah, which is also owned by the Rising Cock Hostel, and boasts world-famous burgers. Their happy hour's not bad either, with 1 Euro shots all night, which is a good way to amp yourself up before you hit the myriad of nightlife options in the area.


We went from bar to bar last night, starting at Three Monkeys, and ending up at Inside Out, where we all shared a huge fishbowl, which even though it's 20 Euro, is made of an entire 26er of vodka! Dancing around then, I stopped in at the hostel to use the internet to finally get a good connection with Sean and catch him up on what's going down in my part of the world. Needless to say we had a great long conversation, and it's been awesome to realize how small the internet makes the world.



I did however make my first big travel mistake... it's been fixed, don't worry, but I had to pay the penaltie$$$. In order to make my flight to Kenya, I must be in Madrid by at least noon on the 14th. I went ahead and booked myself the early Ryanair flight out of Porto, where I will be, to arrive around 9. I did not however manage to check all my details, and booked for SEPTEMBER 14th, rather than August. I was pretty heartbroken when I realized, and the extra 80$ was no consolation. Long story short, that certainly won't happen again, and I have a boarding pass ready to go. I think I'll just stay out all night on the 13th, in order to save on the hostel fee.

Diving off the pier.
Tonight is Will's birthday, so we're all headed for dinner and then out and about to celebrate! I wonder what my birthday's going to be like when it comes around... where i'll be, and who I'll be with. Either way I'm sure it will be fun (and safe... don't worry Dad!) Tomorrow night the boys are staying again, and I've booked a 5:45 bus out of Lagos to head to Porto, which takes 8 hours. GIven the party history so far, I doubt we'll head to be before then anyways, so I'm leaving my bag with the guys and sleeping the day away on the bus... win for money saving!

We're just dashing out now, so I'm off! I'll talk soon! Love you all tons!

No comments:

Post a Comment