Wednesday 15 August 2012

Day 12 Nairobi Niceties and Mombasa Marvels

Hey everyone! I have touched down in Africa, after 24 hours bouncing from Porto to Jomo Kenyatta Airport. I couched it in the hostel, and then caught a cab with some travelling Americans. Ryanair went smoothly, with my luggage a full 3kgs short of the limit. I slept the whole way, and in Madrid we caught the metro into town for some lunch. I have to say I am not Madrid's biggest fan, having found other cities that are more to my liking, however the Starbucks was so much like home I quite enjoyed the layover!

I caught my flight just fine, and needed a bogus ticket out of Kenya in order to get in, which Egyptair kindly provided me with. They also let me take my bag on the plane, so that cut the stress down a little for me knowing it wouldn't get lost. The connection went smoothly in Cairo as well, and on both planes I was given a whole row I myself and had the best sleeps! The food was pretty alright as well (of course I have to mention the food eh Mom...).

the bumpy road to the hostel.
I got in at 4 am, and the nice volunteer people were there waiting for me. It is the first place I've been where they drive on the "wrong" side, so in my tired state that kinda freaked me out a little! I stayed the night in a hostel and got brekkie in the morning while waiting for my pickup to orientation.

Orientation was awesome, we learned all about the safaris we can take, and the help we can receive if we need anything at all from the organizers. I have resolved to get a phone and some minutes so I have a way to read both home and the volunteers, invade the Internet is stressful. This turned out to be 2400 kenyan shillings, which is 30 dollars, for a phone, sim card, a 500 minutes. Win. We also got the code of conduct lecture, about no drugs and no abusing our hosts by inviting bed guests into our accommodations, rather we should "take it outside..." woah! This is clearly not a problem on my end, but the briefing was nonetheless hilarious!! The main form of transport is matatus, cube vans that drive pretty crazily but are generally safe and inexpensive. The drivers are very adept and quick, and it's often cheaper and quicker than the buses.

Many volunteers are being assigned to the Kiberia slum, which is the 2nd largest in the world, and falls in Nairobi. The amount that needs to be done here is incredible... However this is not my placement.

Katrina, Me and Shayla in the Junction Mall.
Reunited with Katrinah at last, I met Lisa a great Brit who was teaching with Katrina in Czech Republic. We were then introduced to our new friend Shayla, from Edmonton, who has been building a school here for the past 3 weeks. Turns out the 4 of us are not stationed in Nairobi or the surrounding areas like everyone else, rather we must take an 8 hour overnight bus (yay more travel) to Mombasa. Holy Shit.

Mombasa, an area I have done ZERO research on prior to this trip, is a beach town, and wikipedia has just become my new best friend. It is the 2nd largest city in Kenya, and has a huge airport too. They also speak English and Swahili, though of course there are many tribe languages that are also used. We are really excited to visit the beach and he spice market, as well as enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere. Don't worry though, CONSTANT VIGILANCE! We are all in the Likoni orphanage, and eagerly await our chance to meet the kids. It is going to be harder to get back to Nairobi for the Safari, but oh man I'm glad I'm posted there. It is warmer, safer, and more touristy so I won't have to wear only long pants like in Nairobi, and will probably get fewer stares. Oh, and everyone who told me to dye my hair, I have met 8 other blondes who also decided to stick it out, and we're all going to be just fine.

The food here is great, and so cheap for fresh fruit. I'm going to stock up for the bus ride, and try to learn lots about my new destination! Africa is going to be such an incredible experience, and I especially can't wait to get to the Maasi Mara, and other national reserves, to enjoy the wildlife and feel Africa.

Cannot wait to update you all, and to dive right in. Talk to you soon!! Love from Kenya!

No comments:

Post a Comment