Tuesday 7 August 2012

Day 4 Leaving Lisbon and Loving Lagos

Last night we decided to venture out again to Bairro Alto, after bringing out the cards once more. We enlisted some fellow Montrealers who proceeded to bankroll the rest of the night, and a cool Torontonian named Johnt. John and I managed to lift ourselves out of the hostel the next morning to take a free walking tour around the city. Even though we didn't actually go into any bars, the street drinking set forth its share of hangovers!

The walking tour was LONG and a little slow, but I did learn a little more than I knew before. I've always found that things are more beautiful and interesting if I know the meaning behind them. Our first stop was a little shop that sold typical Portuguese booze, which is made from a fruit similar to the cherry and is called Ginjinha. Though it was before noon, that didn't stop us from trying a little.
We walked around a ton, learning about the legends and people that make Lisbon so amazing, and checking out the sites and views of the city. It really is so different from Canada, with the layout and old buildings all over. It was completely destroyed in 1755 by a massive earthquake, 4 times larger than the one which hit Japan last year. It decimated 85% of the city, which had to be completely rebuilt. I was quite pleased to finally see some cats in the city, so of course, I had to snap a shot... I am that crazy cat lady...

A few strange things I noticed were that the cops ride segways!
With the twisty streets and crazy crowds, it seems to be the best way to get around without walking. Also, the pedestrian lights are hilariously mixed up, and extremely uncoordinated, leaving us often stranded on the islands between traffic.

Afterwards John and I headed back to the hostel and I gathered up my gear. Harry joined us, a little worse for wear with his sunburn peeling a tad a his hangover in full swing. We grabbed a bite at a small spot near the hostel for some traditional Portuguese salted cod, called bacalahau. All throughout the trip I would walk past these depanneurs all over town that sold stacks of this, in the precooked, hard, fully salt-encased form, whose smell smacked you in the face like a hammer. Surprisingly though it was pretty good! Served with spinach and black eyed peas, at €6.40 including wine and coffee, so it definitely fit the budget.

Then I hit the bus station with my red little pack and undertook the journey to the party beach town of Lagos! I only got in around 9, but mama found me a bed, and with the party already started, I dove right in! I'm staying in a room away from the main building with, get this, 5 guys... Here we go, ultimate wing girl initiated!

No comments:

Post a Comment