Monday 8 October 2012

Day 65 Bodrum Blues

By blues I mean the gorgeous colour of the ocean and the name our our amazing hotel, Blu! My mood is far from, as it turns out that my journal, which I left on last night's bus, has been tracked down, and should arrive tonight. As I'll already be outta Dodge, Bel has kindly said she'll pick it up for me tomorrow. I'm so glad to have recovered it!
The Bodrum Blu Hotel pool area. Amazing!

Bodrum is amazing. The perfect little beach town, it has a bit of history to spice it up as well. The previous site if the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, in of the seven ancient wonders, Belinda and I ventured over to the site. Entry was 8 TL, so we merely glanced at what was close. Unfortunately there is very little left, as with most of the Wonders, (except the Great Phramid) but it was neat to see two within 24 hours! The site and remains of the temple of Artemis is Ephesus, so that was lucky!


Looking out at the Aegean Sea
Bel lounging on the beach.
We slept really well, and awoke to a gorgeous cloudless day. Bel had a boat cruise of the offshore islands booked, but managed to push it to tomorrow so we could hang. I really feel like I've found a kindred spirit here, she's got some fabulous knowledge on nutrition (having done an undergrad in it) and is also a doctor of physiotherapy. She's currently working on luxury yachts as a massage therapist or stewardess, whichever the job requires. It would be such an amazingi opportunity to do something like that - the connections she makes, and he travel she gets to do is insane! The best part is her wages are tax-free because they are in international waters most of the time!

We talked a lot about how positive thinking and attitude has so much to do with how your life turns out and the opportunities you are presented wig. After our day of lounging on the beach and by the amazing pool I felt so relaxed and chilled out! We met an older Turkish man on our chairs by the water who bade us use his homemade tanning oil, made from all natural stuff, like apricot oil and tea. It made my akin feel great and I think I'm a little darker too. He used to work as the general manager for some posh hotels in London, and he gave us his cars incase we ever want an excellent rate staying in any of them. Have I mentioned Turkish people are incredibly nice?
The Bodrum Maiden´s castle, now a museum (of course).

I had to catch a 6:00 bus to Istanvul, and on my way to the station I found a kebab place that sold me a little salad and a bunch of doner chicken for a $1. Paleo is still going strong, and I feel good about staying on track. The bus ride promises to be long, and the assured wifi turned out to be a hoax... I swear its like rolling dice getting what you've been told out here. The buses have been pretty easy to book though, usually I just get my ticket out of whatever place I roll into on arrival. The prices are generally the same for all the companies, but if you do the legwork of finding the cheapest, you can save a few lira here and there. I can use every one I've got! You can use the extra to pay for the bathroom when you stop somewhere, as buses are not outfitted with them, and almost everywhere charges at least 1 TL.

The attendants tha serve tea and coffee wear collared shirts and bow ties too, so that makes things a little different.

Only one more day in Turkey makes me a little sad though, but onto more exciting things!

Lots of love!

No comments:

Post a Comment