Tuesday 25 September 2012

Day 49 Part Two - Long Necks and Monkey Business

feeding time at the giraffe centre!
We decided to visit the giraffe centre where the endangered Rothschild is on display. It was really cool to pet and feed a live giraffe, and I learned that they have cloven hooves rather than round horse-like ones!

Being loved by some monkeys.
There were these adorable warthogs around as well, and they snuffle around on their knees for food, as they can't reach to bend their necks down!

Shayla and I went afterwards to the monkey park, and after a short time where we thought we had arrived (only to discover it was just a path TO the park...) we found ourselves surrounded by monkeys and feeding them with some bananas and corn that we were given by the locals. So cool to a haven them sitting right on your shoulder, an we also saw a little baby clinging to his mother's tummy as she foraged as well.

warthogs at the giraffe centre.
adorable monkey!
I returned to the place where we are bunked to wait for Kat and Lisa who had decided to eat out (I'm on a budget though!) only to find there were not enough beds! We relocated to the volunteer house where we passed a few hours on the first day, and I had a great sleep. The only problem is te amount of cockroaches that scuttle around in te ceiling and on the beds ... I tucked my mosquito net tight around me and put earbuds in to cut out the scurrying... Gross! Thankfully the bus ride the night before had me wiped!


pretty girl!
took a selfie with a monkey!

Shayla with the monkies!
adorable Mama with her baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment